Tony Lawson’s Team Concise has teamed up with Ker design and McConaghy boats to develop the next generation Class 40 capable of out performing the newest big budget Class 40s but for a production boat price.
The design concept has been refined by Jason Ker and Simon Schofield of Ker design in close association with experienced Class 40 yachtsman and Team Concise project manager Ned Collier Wakefield.
Combined with McConaghy boats attention to detail quality and consistency, this new generation Class 40 will be offered as a one design class within a class.
40 ONE DESIGN Gallery
The idea behind the Forty(1)Design, was to start with a clean sheet of paper and apply our advanced design technology to achieve the best concept and fastest possible hull shape. Team Concise were ideal clients; they understood that thorough research takes time and therefore planned their program accordingly.
A particular feature of the combined CFD and numerical optimisation technology that we have developed is that an unlimited number of shapes can be explored within a reasonable time scale. The technique contrasts dramatically with traditional yacht design optimisation. This typically starts with a known reference point and makes incremental steps towards an improved solution, one tweak at a time. Consequently it is quite likely to never arrive at a truly optimal solution in the lifetime of any particular box rule.
Coming from a background which has embraced many racing rules including the Americas Cup, allowed us to look at every aspect of this new design with fresh eyes. We have examined current performances, rule constraints and practicality and in all these areas we have found gains. Individually these might not be large, but together, they are significant. The sail-plan has been through a major CFD optimisation process. Internal structures have been optimised in close conjunction with interior stacking ergonomics, while great lengths have been taken to minimise the actual VCG within the rules 90 degrees RM constraint.
40 1 DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS
Upwind Sail Area
Downwind Sail Area
- A ground up review of Class 40 rules.
- We assessed in excess of 70,000 potential hull shapes.
- Laser scanning and performance analyses of existing boats allowed for direct comparisons with known benchmarks (our deltas are exciting, gains of more than 45 N Miles/Day in some cases).
- Detailed investigations in conjunction with the Team Concise and experienced weather routers’ allowed us to determine appropriate performance weighting for each of the major Class 40 races.
- A full RANS based sail plan optimisation study was completed in collaboration with the North Sails Design Group run on the Wolfson Units Super Cluster.
- A new and unique structural concept design.